Knowledge is power. Or it’s useless. But it’s almost always fun, right? Haha.
I keep a list of all the random facts I learn that I feel like I should have known or that would have been awesome to know, but that for some reason I am just learning. When it gets long enough, I share it with you.
50 More Random Facts I Didn’t Know That I Didn’t Know
1. 78% of NFL players are bankrupt two years after finishing their careers.
2. 60% of NBA players are bankrupt within five years of leaving the league.
3. Male koalas have two penises. Female koalas have two vaginas.
4. In Utah, it is against the law to fish from the back of a horse.
5. If you put a can of Diet Coke in water, it floats. Regular Coca-Cola sinks.
6. Also, according to Utah law (where I live) a husband is responsible for any criminal act that his wife commits while in his presence.
7. Apparently, if you eat a Polar Bear’s liver, you will die of a vitamin A overdose.
8. The number one tire manufacturer in the world? LEGO.
9. If you combine all the ants in the world, they’ll weigh about the same as if you combine all the people.
10. The flamingo can only eat when its head is upside down.
11. Because news traveled so slow back then, slaves in Texas didn’t know they were free for more than two months after Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation.
12. Talk about pressure. Female ferrets die if they can’t find a mate after going into heat.
13. There are 18.6 million vacant homes in America. There are 3.1 million homeless people.
14. Humans have had dogs as companions and workers for more than 14,000 years.
15. A snail can sleep for more than three years at a time.
16. The air quality of Mumbai is so bad, it’s equivalent to smoking 2½ packs of cigarettes a day.
17. Everyone on earth is born with the ability to wiggle their ears, but if you don’t learn how early on, the muscle atrophies and you can’t learn any longer.
CONTINUED ON NEXT PAGE
Where did you find these? Is there a way to fact check these? I must have proof, prior to showing these to my family. lol Seriously though...
I knew eight of these: 10 (about flamingos; I probably knew this from my visits to the San Diego Zoo), 14 (humans and dogs; I'm an anthropologist by education, so this is something I would have come across), 20 (Hitler as Man of the Year; I'm also a history geek), 21 (fingernails; I probably know this from the three months or so I went to cosmetology school. Yes, I'm I beauty school drop-out), 26 (Mississippi river flowing backwards; I suspect I learned this in my college geology class), 35 (smallpox; not sure where I learned this), 42 (Scientology and Wikipedia; again, I have no clue where I learned this), and 45 (Egyptians supposedly in the Grand Canyon; I'm sure I read this somewhere in the fringe science stuff I tend to enjoy reading for the entertainment value. There are lots of these theories going around; most are highly amusing).
I don't believe number 36. I just don't.
And, in honor of number 37 (the nachos), did you know that Doritos were invented at Disneyland in 1964 as a way of using extra tortillas at Casa de Fritos, one of the restaurants in the park? This is one of my favorite bits of trivia. Also, regarding Disneyland - did you know that Disneyland's street address is 1313 Harbor Boulevard. I wonder how many triskaidekaphobics would avoid going to Disneyland if they knew this. I've got all kinds of trivia floating around randomly in my brain. Unfortunately, I usually can't think of any of it when I'm trying to.
Thanks for the post; this was fun.
In response to #13, I read this right before your post.http://www.cracked.com/article_20015_5-mind-blowingly-valuable-things-hidden-in-everyday-life.html
I don't eat animals, so I guess I'll have to be more careful about which "natural flavors" are in the ice cream I eat!
The anal gland is going to give me nightmares. That is the ONLY one that sticks out in my mind now. Thanks Dan. Never eating Ice Cream again. :(
It was probably added in a synthetic form before they realized they could add it from a natural source. They also put a tiny amount of skunk spray in perfume. It's all about the quantity. :)
I knew 26, 32, and 35, so I just learned 47 new things :D And I'll probably forget just about all of them~
I wonder how many looks the first guy got after mentioning that beaver anal glands (castoreum) have a hint of raspberry flavoring - haha gross. Its used in perfumes too... be careful you might be spraying beaver butt all over you!
#38 ewwww I want facts to back that one and #50 KUDOS to that guy (or gal). LOVE LOVE LOVE you Dan (and Noah)
Seriously, who thinks "hmm I bet beaver anal gland would taste great in ice cream!" I highly doubt it would taste that different without it, why add it? Gross!
these were great! thanks .. some.. i could have done with out.. but now i'm filled with some useless trivia. ;)
I already knew # 20 - and found # 36 the most interesting....second was the one about the nails (since I live so far north)
Sadly, I knew about the beaver anal glands! My 13 year old son discovered that one day and had to share. The additive is known as Castoreum (often included under the heading "natural flavourings") and it can be used in vanilla, raspberry, and strawberry products. Oh the things teenaged boys learn!
Interesting. The anal gland thing is a little disturbing? Why would that have anything to do with ice cream? Or was that just put in there for fun?
The most famous truel in film history, although they label it as a duel.
Why did anyone even THINK of using an extract from ANY creature's anal gland as an ingredient in food? This may be the hidden cause of myriads of deadly diseases that has been overlooked by all scientists!! ;)
@AirenEvans"Natural Flavors" which is on a LOT of foods just means that it comes from nature. They use all sorts of weird "natural" things to mimic flavors we like. Beaver glands? Vanilla. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castoreum
I watched a cool/disturbing video that talked about the flavor scientists. http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7389748n
@StormyzMom i just read that yesterday somewhere....how do babies crawl without Knee caps???